Volunteers Needed for Trail Renewal Projects
A great way to have fun, learn cool stuff, and give back to the Trail!
Are you curious about what goes into building and maintaining a sustainable Trail? Would you like to find out while giving back to the Trail you love? We’ve got just the opportunity for you. Two of our summer Trail Renewal projects are up for registration, and we need your help!
No Experience Necessary!
SHTA will provide you with tools and all the training you need to participate in the project.
Meet Other SHTA Enthusiasts
Volunteering on these projects guarantees you’ll meet other folks who care as much about the Trail as you do.
As Much or as Little as Suits Your Schedule
You can join us for one day or many. Lots of dates to choose from.
Complimentary car camping is available for all participants.
Each project day has a maximum crew size, so don’t wait to register!
What You Need
See our FAQ to find out more about what you’ll need to bring with you to the project.
Projects Open for Registration
- The Bean and Bear Reroute (June 15-26) Help move a very muddy section of the SHT to a much more sustainable route! Activities will include cutting brush and digging vegetation out of the new trail corridor, as well as creating a good walking surface for the trail with shovels and other hand tools. This is a great opportunity to learn or practice your basic trail-building skills. No experience necessary! All tools and training will be provided by SHTA. Expect a 3 mile hike from the trailhead to the project. This is a big project and needs LOTS of hands!
- Spruce Creek Abutments (July 8-12) Curious about how bridges are supported? This is a great opportunity to participate in making that happen. Volunteers will place and fill the geocell structure that will support the new Spruce Creek bridge. Activities will include digging, hauling material, filling the geocell pad with crushed rock, building the cribbing, and setting the sill. No experience necessary! All tools and training will be provided by SHTA. Expect a 1 mile hike from the trailhead to the project.
We’re also excited to announce our new registration system. This system is very easy to use for volunteers, and it will be much better at keeping track of all the wonderful work volunteers do. Take a scroll down the list (sort of like a stroll down the trail) to find the project and date you’re interested in. Check it out when you…
A special way to volunteer – We’re looking for a few folks who are willing to participate as a camp coordinator. This person would join the work day, but leave the work site a bit early, getting back to camp to set up for dinner on the nights that there are shared dinners. If you’re interested in doing this on one or more of our projects, please contact Barbara Budd at [email protected].
Duluth area trail maintenance projects are also in that list and available for registration. More events will be posted regularly, so keep coming back to check.
Watch our Volunteer Page for registration to open soon for:
- Wood Creek Reroute (July 21-24)
- Spruce Creek Bridge Build (Aug 10-15)
- Mystery Mountain Rehabilitation (Sep 15-24)
Please contact Barbara Budd, Volunteer and Education Coordinator at [email protected]
We hope to see you on the trail this summer!