The Superior Hiking Trail Association (SHTA) is a Minnesota non-profit corporation dedicated to the construction, maintenance, management, and promotion of the Superior Hiking Trail. Membership has grown to more than 4,500 as hikers discover the wonders of the SHT and recognize the importance of maintaining this beloved Trail.
What does the association do?
- Works with contractors and volunteers to build, maintain, and renew the Superior Hiking Trail.
- Secures and protects permits for the trail to cross the properties of public and private landowners.
- Publishes guide books and maps for trail users.
- Provides trail information to trail users through its publications, website, and social media streams.
- Sells Superior Hiking Trail products to promote and celebrate trail use.
- Performs the membership, financial, and administrative work to make the Trail happen.
- Plans a calendar of Trail events — the annual spring Hike Fest and guided hikes throughout the hiking season, including wintertime snowshoe hikes, and scheduled maintenance work projects.
Staff and Board of Directors
The SHTA has staff working in the Trail Information Center and office in Two Harbors, MN, as well as seasonal maintenance contractors.
A board of directors consisting of members from a variety of locations, careers, backgrounds, and age groups meets bimonthly to make policy decisions and guide the work of the Association.
Since 1986 members and donors have been providing the financial support necessary to build and maintain the trail. Approximately 60% of the Association’s operating budget comes from membership fees and contributions. As the Trail has grown in popularity and aged over the years, this support is critical to our work to renew the Trail. Now more than ever, we hope you’ll join or donate to ensure our link to nature along the North Shore.
- Complete set of Trail maps
- The Ridgeline newsletter
- 10% discount on all products in the Trail Information Center
But most of all, members know they are helping to build, maintain, and renew this awesome trail!
Hard-working volunteers contribute to the on-going maintenance of the Trail. Some adopt particular trail sections, campsites, or trailheads. Others participate in scheduled maintenance or construction projects. Volunteers also are needed to help with Association events or staff a SHT booth at public events.
Trail Information Center and SHTA Office
731 7th Ave, Suite 2
Two Harbors, MN 55616
The Trail Information Center and SHTA Office is located on the main level of a sage green Victorian house on the corner of Highway 61 and 8th Street.
2018 TRAIL INFORMATION CENTER HOURS
April 16th through October 26th
Mondays & Thursdays: 10:00am – 5:00pm
Fridays: 10:00am – 7:00pm
The “Superior Hiking Trail” name and the Superior Hiking Trail logo are registered trademarks and the property of the Superior Hiking Trail Association. With written permission from the Superior Hiking Trail Association and under specific circumstances, the organization may permit use of its name and logo.
- The name “Superior Hiking Trail” or the Superior Hiking Trail logo cannot be configured into art, logos, patches, t-shirts or other artistic renderings used for commercial or product purposes.
- When the name or logo is used in personal publications, blogs or on websites providing a link to the Superior Hiking Association website is encouraged
For questions about trademark and logo use, please contact the Superior Hiking Trail Association.