Lessons and photo by guest blogger Jeremy LaCroix
Lessons learned from a rookie who planned to do 105 miles in a week but quit after 35 in 3 days.
1. Despite what I was told, 15 miles a day is not a good plan. Attainable, but not enjoyable. Plan 8-10 and don’t be in a rush.
2. Those people who worry about every little ounce of weight are not crazy.
3. The SHT is more rustic with more hills, more roots, more rocks, more mud and more obstacles than shorter publicly maintained trails (state and county parks). This multiplies the stress of an overweight pack. If something is described as a little wet, its a sloppy mess.
4. Plan a 2-3 day trip (15-30 miles) before trying to tackle 100 miles.
5. Lake Agnes East at sunset is breathtaking.
6. Superior Hiking Shuttle will pick you up in the middle of the week – if things don’t go well if you call them.